CDR FoodLab systems for fats and oils are analysis systems that can be used to control the quality of oils and fats at the production lines, in real time.
The FoodLab systems can analyze:
They enable to carry out a wide range of tests with a single instrument and in shorter time as compared to traditional methods. The panel of the analyses is specific for the quality control of fats and oils:
Free Fatty Acids Test (FFA) 1 minute
Peroxide Value Test 4 minutes
P-Anisidine Value Test 2 minutes
Iodine Value Test in Palm Oil 2 minutes
Soaps determination 2 minutes
CDR FoodLab systems
CDR FoodLab Touch, designed for different kinds of fats and oils, is configured with the complete analysis panel (complete configuration). It is able to analyze 16 samples at the same time, endowed with 5,7” LCD touchscreen, printer, incubation cells, ethernet (LAN) connection, USB for PC connection, USB for the trasfer of the analyses’ data.
CDR FoodLab Junior, designed for different kinds of fats and oils, can be configured with some analysis of your choice (tailored configuration). It is able to anlayze 3 samples at the same time, endowed with 4,3” LCD touchscreen, USB for PC connection, bluetooth 2.1
How the system works
Each test is performed dispensing in the cuvette containing the buffer a determined amount of the sample. Thanks to the reagents created on purpose, it is generated a colorimetric reaction.
You obtain the result of the test immediately after the elaboration of the photometric reading, in its relative unit of measure.
Fast and Easy: the 3 R’s of CDR FoodLab fats&oils
Ready to use
The systems are designed to be used by anyone, without the support of skilled staff. The analysis methods are easier than the traditional ones and can be performed in few steps. If any doubt arises, the “step by step” guide, directly displayed on the touchscreen, leads the operator through the process.
Reduced testing time
With CDR FoodLab systems you can perform analyses quickly and easily without relying on a dedicated external laboratories. Just few minutes are enough to perform a test, obtaining immediately exact and accurate answers to monitor the production process. Moreover with CDR FoodLab Touch it is possible to analyze 16 samples at the same time and the multitasking mode allows to manage the determinations of several analytical parameters at the same time. It allows the system to process one analysis and to start another one at the same time, with the possibility to go back to the first one at any moment.
This measuring systems owe their sensitivity, accuracy and reliability to the photometric technology based on LED luminous sources. The results of the analysis are correlated with the reference methods.
What can you analyze with CDR FoodLab for fats and oils
CDR FoodLab systems for fats and oils are the ideal solution to control the quality at production lines in real time. This is why they are used by several food industries worldwide that use oils and fats as ingredients.
- You can test the shelf life of bakery products, snacks and creams in a simple and rapid way, monitoring the oxidation status and the rancidity of the oils contained in the different products
- If employed for fried food production lines, CDR FoodLab systems for fats and oils quickly check the quality of cooking oil, frying oil and verify the shelf life of fried snacks simply and accurately.
- If used in combination with CDR’s extraction system, a zero toxicity system, CDR FoodLab systems for fats and oils control the quality of raw materials or finished products in industries that produce, process and package Nuts and hard-shelled dry fruit.
- Due to the small amount of sample required, it is very appreciated by producers of high price oils, like essential oils or cosmetics.
- The analysis of plant derived natural oils for different uses: for cosmetics, functional foods, nutritional use, pharmaceutical use, (almond oil, camelina oil, soya oil, etc. etc.)
- The analysis of marine oils like fish oils and algae oils for nutraceutical use and other uses.
- The analysis of vegetable oils, animal fats and oils for energetic use (burning oils or biodiesel).
- The accurate process control for refined fat thanks to special curves that work properly at very low range of Peroxide Value (PV) and Free Fatty Acids (FFA).
- A very quick sample treatment allows CDR Foodlab systems for fats and oils to testflours, feeds, butter and margarine as well.
The analytical methods of the CDR FoodLab systems for fats and oils are muchsimpler and faster than traditional methods.
The low toxicity of the reagents eliminates the need of handling toxic or carcinogenic reagents.
There is no need to prepare samples or, at any rate, the operation is quick and simple.
Reliable Measuring Instruments
CDR FoodLab systems for fats and oils have a very high accuracy and sensitivity. For example, it is able to determine very low acidity values (range 0.01 – 24 expressed in gr. as % of oleic acid) and low amounts of peroxides (range 0.1 – 550 mEqO2/Kg) with a minimum resolution of 0.01. Therefore, they are the ideal solution for food industries that employ refined oils.
University Studies Carried Out Using FoodLabFat
FoodLabFat (FoodLabFat is the preceding version of CDR FoodLab Touch: the CDR FoodLab systems for fats and oils and FoodLabFat use the same analytical method) has been used to determine the value of peroxides and anisidine (AnV). The results have been published in a study entitled “Stability of high oleic vegetable oils towards light exposure” carried out by the University of Hamburgand presented during the 7th edition of the Euro Fed Lipid Congress held in Graz in October 2009.
FoodLabFat for fats and oils for the determination of p-anisidine was also used in a study entitled “Analyses of the oxidative stability of deep-frying oils” presented during the 6th edition of the 2008 Euro Fed Lipid Congress. Said study, carried out by the University of Hamburg, aimed at comparing the oxidative stability of traditional sunflower oil with high oleic sunflower oil used for deep-frying.
|Free Fatty Acid (FFA)||10||*300128||0,01 – 3,5% Oleic acid|
|Peroxide Value (PV)||20||*300159||0,01 – 50 mEqO2/Kg|
|Soaps||10||*300179||5 – 1350 ppM|
|p-Anisidina Value||10||*300503||0,5 – 100 AnV|
in Palm Oil
|10||*300561||2 – 100 I.V.|
|Polyphenols/oil stability index
in olive oil
|10||*300478||10 – 900 mg/Kg gallic acid|
CDR FoodLab® Analyzers for Fats and Oils
Iodine value in Palm Oil
Polyphenols in Olive Oil
|Configurable analysis panel|
|Possibility of running several tests on the same sample||–|
|Incubation module||37˚C thermostatic block with 16 slots||37˚C thermostated reading block with incubation function|
|Internal memory to store analysis results|
|Touch Screen Display|
|USB host port to connect USB memories||–|
|USB port to connect to a PC|
|Ethernet (LAN) port||–|
|Wireless link for external printer||–|
|Dimensions and weight||32 X 29,5 X 13 cm (L x P x H) – 2,8 Kg||15 x 22 x 8,3 cm (L x P x H) – 0,80 Kg|
|Lithium ion battery||–|
Technical Specifications of CDR FOODLab systems
- The system: 37° C controlled temperature photometer
- Photometric module:
6 different wavelengthes in 4 reading cells
- Incubation module:
37°C thermostat block with 16 positions (Touch model only)
Touch model: 5,7” TFT color LCD touchscreen
Junior model: 4,3” Wide TFT color LCD touchscreen
Touch model: 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1 USB port type B for technical service and PC connection, 1 Ethernet port (LAN).
Junior Touch: 1 USB port type B for technical service and PC connection, bluetooth 2.1
- Internal Storage: 4 GB internal memory to store the performed tests
- Database format: CSV and XML file, compatible with all formats of database (e.g.: xls, SQL)
- Printer: Graphic printer on board 80mm width (Touch model)
Touch model: 2,80 Kg
Junior model: 0,80 Kg
Touch model: 32 cm x 29,5 cm x 13 cm (L x D x H)
Junior model: 15 x 22 x 8,3 cm (L x D x H)
- Power Supply:
Touch model: external power supply AC/DC Prim. voltage:100 – 250V, 47 – 63 Hz, 0,8 A Sec. voltage 24V, 1,4 VA, max.: 3,0 A
Junior model: external power supply AC/DC 24 V Prim. voltage:100 – 250V, 47 – 63 Hz, 0,8 A Sec. voltage 24V, 1,4 VA, max.: 3,0 A or lithium ion battery (optional)
- Environment conditions to operate: the analyzer and its equipment work at room temperature, from 12°C to 35°C and relative humididty from 20% to 80% not condensed.
CDR logo is a registered trade mark of CDR s.r.l. Florence, Italy
Photo credit: cdR FoodLab
Free Fatty Acid Testing on cdR FoodLab Junior
This video is a demonstration of how to test for your free fatty acids or FFAs on a CDR Foodlab Line analyzer.