OxiTester: FFA, Peroxide Value, K270, Polyphenols in Oil
OxiTester is a fast, simple and reliable analysis system that can be used to control the quality of vegetable oils in all of the stages of the oil production process, that is directly in the oil mill, in the oil processing plant or at the time of purchase.
In fact, OxiTester can be used to quickly test oil by operators who have no experience in chemical tests, with no need of a dedicated laboratory.
The analytical system includes:
- A spectrophotometric analyzer with solid state emitters (LEDs) and reading and incubation cells thermostated at 37° C.
- A Kit of pre-filled, disposable reagents with a low toxicity developed by the research laboratories of CDR and a 12-month shelf-life.
- Pipettes to simplify the collection of the samples.
- Operator’s manual and functional illustrated sheets.
- Extraction system: this innovative, practical and fast system enables to directly obtain a sufficient amount of oil to test its quality from the drupe or hard-shelled dry fruit, by means of a cold pressing process that does not involve the use of solvents. The leading companies that produce hard-shelled dry fruit or that use it as main ingredient have already chosen this method and left aside traditional testing methods that involve the use of toxic solvents (Soxhlet).
OxiTester is able to test very small oil samples as is and to provide the following information:
- Free Fatty Acids (FFA) 1 minute
- Peroxide Value 4 minutes
- Poliphenols/Oil Stability Index in olive oil 5 minutes
- K270 6 minutes
This system significantly reduces testing time because it enables to test up to 14 samples simultaneously, which means that it is possible to perform 80 FFA tests, 70 Peroxide Value tests, 30 Poliphenols tests, 70 K270 tests in an hour.
K270 can be measured only via OxiTester K270
OxiTester enables to test oils in a few simple steps:
- Select the parameter to measure from the menu: the system automatically selects the correct wavelength.
- Use the supplied pipette to add the correct volume of sample to the reagent contained in the cuvette.
- Follow the displayed instructions.
- The result is automatically calculated in a few minutes, displayed and printed by means of the on-board printer.
At the end of the test it is not necessary to wash containers, other accessories or the traditional glassware.
There is no need to prepare the sample, it is not necessary to calibrate the analyzer, moreover, the use of reagents with a low toxicity eliminate the need of handling toxic or carcinogenic agents.
The reliability of OxiTester has been confirmed by a series of comparative tests, performed by certified leading testing laboratories.
In a study entitled “A new method for the determination of the oxidative stability of pure olive oil“, carried out by Minerva S.A. and Asteriadis S.A., in collaboration with the University of Athens and published in the Journal of AOAC International, the OxiTester method for the determination of polyphenols/stability index was validated and compared with the official method for the determination of the stability of oil (Rancimat).
The studies have demonstrated that the accuracy of the analytical results of OxiTester parallels reference methods, but that OxiTester is much easier to use and provides the results in shorter time.
|Free Fatty Acid (FFA)||100||*300125/A||0 -3,5 % oleic acid|
|High Free Fatty Acid (FFA)||100||*300125/A + *300128||0-24 % oleic acid|
|10||*300128/A + *300128|
|Peroxide Value (PV)||100||*300150/A||0,3 – 50 mEqO2/Kg|
Antioxidant Activity – Oil stability Index
|100||*300475||10 – 900 mg/Kg gallic acid|
- System: 6-channel photometer with temperature controlled at 37° C
- Measurement: solid state opto-electronic devices
- Photometric range: 0,0-2,3 Abs; (0,0-4,0 Abs) ampl
- Outputs: 1 connection for host PC, 1 connection for sw update
- Overall weight: 2,5 Kg
- Overall dimensions: 315 mm x 190 mm x 165 mm
- Power supply: 12V dc
- Absorption: 1,4A max
- Environmental operating conditions: the system and its accessories can be used at room temperatures ranging from 15° C to 35° C and with a relative humidity of 20% – 90% without condensation.
- EN 50081/1. Electromagnetic compatibility: emission – residential environments – light industry.
- EN 55022. A Measurement of radio disturbances on IT equipment.
- EN 50082/2 Sensitivity to irradiated and induced electromagnetic radiation.
- ENV 50140 Electromagnetic compatibility: immunity test in presence of radiated electromagnetic RM fields.
CDR logo is a registered trade mark of CDR s.r.l. Florence, Italy
Photo credit: cdR FoodLab