PalmOil Tester: analyzer for crude and refined palm oil
PalmOil Tester is a simple and accurate testing system that, within a few minutes, enables to determine Free Fatty Acid (FFA), Peroxide Value (PV), DOBI, Iodine Value, Anisidine Value (AnV) & Carotene in raw and refined palm oil.
Thanks to its simplicity and reliability, PalmOil Tester is used by palm oil producers in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesian, Nigeria etc. during all production stages: in the oil mills where the fruit is crushed, in refineries, during acceptance, during storage and when the finished product is sold.
The analytical system includes:
- A Spectrophotometric Analyzer with solid state emitters (LEDs) and reading and incubation cells thermostated at 37° C.
- A Kit of pre-vialed, disposable reagents with a low toxicity developed by the research laboratories of CDR and a 12-month shelf-life.
- Pipettes to simplify the collection of the samples.
- Print Manager: software that enables the connection of the analyser to the PC in order to store and print the results of the tests.
- Operator’s manual and functional illustrated sheets.
PalmOil Tester is able to test raw palm oil and Kernel Palm Oil and provides the following information:
- Free Fatty Acids 1 minute
- Peroxide Value 4 minutes
- DOBI & Carotene 6 minutes
- Iodine Value 2 minutes
- p-Anisidine Value 2 minutes
This system significantly reduces testing time because it enables to test up to 16 samples simultaneously, which means that it is possible to perform 80 FFA tests, 70 Peroxide Value tests, 40 Iodine Value tests and 40 p-Anisidine Value tests in an hour.2
PalmOilTester analytical methods are simpler and faster as compared to traditional ones. Tests can be performed in a few simple steps:
- Heat the palm oil, which is solid at room temperature.
- Select the parameter to measure from the menu: the system automatically selects the correct wavelength.
- Use the supplied pipette to add the correct volume of reagent and sample, then mix.
- Follow the displayed instructions.
- The result is automatically calculated in a few minutes, displayed and printed by means of the on-board printer.
No Technical Support and Maintenance Expenses
- Unlike NIR systems or other photometric systems, this system does not require regular calibrations: it is supplied pre-calibrated, although the calibration parameters can be changed quickly and simply.
- The system does not require costly spare parts: the analyser uses LED luminous sources and does not therefore require the maintenance that is usually needed for photometers with tungsten luminous filaments. The absence of moving parts eliminates the risk of damages.
In Line with Reference Methods
PalmOilTester and its analytical methods have been subjected to comparative tests by several agencies like Indelab sdn. Bhd. Malaysia, Member Analyst to FOSFA INTERNATIONAL. Tests have demonstrated a good alignment with official AOACS methods.
PalmOilTester is supplied with a DVD that contains videos of the methods, which are useful to learn quickly how to perform the tests and obtain the most accurate results.
|Free Fatty Acids Low||100||*300120||Palm Oil: 0,01 – 0,54% Palmitic Acid|
|Palm Kernel Oil: 0,01 – 0,45% lauric acid|
|Free Fatty Acids High||100||*300129||1 – 12,57% Palmitic Acid|
|Palm Kernel Oil: 1 – 10,60% lauric acid|
|Peroxide Value||100||*300190||Refined Oil:0,1 – 25,4 meqO2/Kg|
|Raw Oil: 0,5 – 0,5 meqO2/Kg|
|DOBI & Carotene||100||*300195||DOBI 0,1 – 20|
|Carotene 0,1 – 862,26 ppm of ß-carotene|
|p-Anisidine Value||100||*300510||0,5 – 100 AnV|
|Iodine Value||100||*300555||2 – 100 I.V.|
- System: 6-channel photometer with temperature controlled at 37° C
- Measurement: solid state opto-electronic devices
- Photometric range: 0,0-2,3 Abs; (0,0-4,0 Abs) ampl
- Outputs: 1 connection for host PC, 1 connection for sw update
- Overall weight: 2,5 Kg
- Overall dimensions: 315 mm x 190 mm x 165 mm
- Power supply: 12V dc
- Absorption: 1,4A max
- Environmental operating conditions: the system and its accessories can be used at room temperatures ranging from 15° C to 35° C and with a relative humidity of 20% – 90% without condensation.
- EN 50081/1. Electromagnetic compatibility: emission – residential environments – light industry.
- EN 55022. A Measurement of radio disturbances on IT equipment.
- EN 50082/2 Suscettività elettromagnetica irradiata e indotta.
- ENV 50140 Electromagnetic compatibility: immunity test in presence of radiated electromagnetic RM fields.
CDR logo is a registered trade mark of CDR s.r.l. Florence, Italy
Photo credit: cdR FoodLab